Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: L.I. deli potato salad
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #1503 at 9:25 pm on Apr 17, 2006
goodness, I posted this on Gail's so many years ago. the recipe comes from a deli on Long Island, where I grew up. it's very simple and easy and always gets raves.
2 lbs potatoes boiled in their skin and cooled.
1 cup white vinegar
1 1/3 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1 onion chopped
salt & pepper to taste
combine brine ingredients and boil for 5 min.
slice potatoes thin (I slice about 1/4" but you can go thinner) and pour hot brine over them.
Let them marinate in the frig for 24 hours. Drain in a collander but do not drain dry. Do this over a pot so if they are too dry you have extra marinade to add back into the salad.
Add Helman's mayo, enough to make it as creamy as you like, and salt & pepper to taste. you can also crumble cooked bacon into the potatoes too.
Be sure to use only Helman's, also sold under the "best foods" label in other parts of the country.
"Love doesn't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile." -Franklin P. Jones
Other messages in this thread:
- 1503. ISO: Fav Potato Salad Recipe - audball - 1:37pm on 04/17/06 (27)
- Sour Cream Dill Potato Salad - Melissa Dallas - 2:21pm on 04/17/06
- I agree with Melissa that this is a good one too! (NT) [NT] - kpinky - 6:00pm on 04/17/06
- REC: Picnic Potato Salad (from Bon Appetit) and a few tweaks... [LINK] - Joe - 3:31pm on 04/17/06
- Our favorite & Mom's winner potato salad (not yellow!!) - kpinky - 4:33pm on 04/17/06
- Dawn's "Stuffed potato" potato salad is very good [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 8:21pm on 04/17/06
- REC: L.I. deli potato salad - Randi - 9:25pm on 04/17/06
- kpinky won't like this one (LOL-Miracle Whip in mine) but here is my favorite - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:59pm on 04/17/06
- I must agree Cathy, MW rules! Your recipe is like my basic one, sans the olives and wasabi - AngAk - 11:23pm on 04/17/06
- Ah, a couple 'o true Midwesterners in the 49th and 50th states...we took our MW with us - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:43am on 04/18/06
- Cathy - I used to dice Claussen's into my potato salad...it was great! - GayleMO - 7:39pm on 04/18/06
- Achhh! And I'm from Minnesota! ... - kpinky - 11:43am on 04/18/06
- Oops ~ sorry ~ that's CathyZ with a "C"! (NT) [NT] - kpinky - 11:55am on 04/18/06
- Roasted red peppers, arugula & a regular food processor mayonnaise made with capers. All - Marg CDN - 12:17pm on 04/18/06
- Marg ~ this sounds so good. Could you post the whole recipe including mayo?? Thanx! [NT] - kpinky - 1:02pm on 04/18/06
- My 'recipes' are getting so old. (and me I guess) I'll see what I can put together. [NT] - Marg CDN - 1:43pm on 04/18/06
- My Momís Potato Salad - Sandy_in_Philly - 4:07pm on 04/18/06
- A labor of love for sure, but a little less laborious with Julia Child's shortcut. - Joe - 5:13pm on 04/18/06
- Only problem being is that - Sandy_in_Philly - 6:02pm on 04/18/06
- Duh! Correction, -- I then dice them to 3/4" before cooling completely. [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 6:03pm on 04/18/06
- Oops, I wasn't clear. The slices would be 1/4 inch thick. I was assuming dices would be larger. - Joe - 10:25pm on 04/18/06
- Another shortcut is to micro the potatoes, wrapping to steam a bit, then cool well and peel. [NT] - AngAk - 5:56pm on 04/19/06
- Rec: My Sister's Potato Salad - AnnNoVA - 8:43pm on 04/18/06
- New Potato and Green Bean Salad - AngAk - 12:36am on 04/19/06
- REC: My MIL's potato salad - JadaORE - 1:16am on 04/19/06
- Rec: Momís Potato Salad - Pat-NoCal - 8:14pm on 04/22/06