Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Curried Spinach & Lentil Soup
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #22 at 5:35 pm on Dec 10, 2005
This has been a favorite of ours since I first found it in Gail's back in the early days.
* Exported from MasterCook II *
Curried Spinach And Lentil Soup
Recipe By :Sandy/SF-Gail's Swap
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :4:00
Categories : Soups & Stews Tried & True
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Cup Lentils -- sorted & rinsed
1 Spanish Onions -- finely chopped
2 Cloves Garlic -- chopped
2 Carrots, Peeled -- diced
1 Stalk Celery -- diced
10 To 12 Cups Low-Salt Chicken Or Vegetable Broth
1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
1 Large Potato, Peeled -- diced
1 10 Oz. Bag Spinach, Washed, Stemmed -- coarsely chopped
1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
Salt -- to taste
Place lentils, onion, garlic, carrots, celery and 6 cups of broth and curry powder in soup pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, for 2 hours.
Add potato, spinach and 4 cups more broth and cook, uncovered, for 2 hours more.
Add vinegar, and if necessary, more broth. Salt to taste.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Serving Ideas : Serve with crusty bread for a hearty supper or lunch.
NOTES : I used slightly more than 1 cup of lentils, mixing brown and green types. You can also vary the vegetables used. I increased the amount of celery, and added a parsnip. I also sweat the veggies in a small amount of oil before adding the lentils and broth.
This soup freezes very well, so I usually have a container ready for quick supper.
Every good dish deserves a good pot.
Other messages in this thread:
- 22. Can we start a thread of yummy soups or stews too, to help ward off winter's chill? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 3:58pm on 12/10/05 (22)
- Here's a Cauliflower and Cheese Soup I made for my Cookbook Club when we featured author..... - Pat-NoCal - 4:05pm on 12/10/05
- REC: Curried Pumpkin Soup - LisainLA - 4:55pm on 12/10/05
- REC: Silver Palate's Cream of Tomato Soup - Dawn_MO - 5:15pm on 12/10/05
- REC: Curried Spinach & Lentil Soup - judy-mass - 5:35pm on 12/10/05
- REC: Spicy Tomato-Pork Stew - DawnNYS - 8:27pm on 12/10/05
- Dieters stay away- Corn and Poato Chowder with cream and bacon REC - CathyZ from Kauai - 9:46pm on 12/10/05
- This sounds absolutely sinful! Thanks Cathy! [NT] - barb_b - 10:20pm on 12/10/05
- Southwestern Pumpkin Soup - Friday - 10:51pm on 12/10/05
- Sounds AWESOME! All of these soups do. Thanks everybody. [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 3:18am on 12/11/05
- I agree, thanks everyone. But please keep 'em comin',there are many months of winter chill ahead.:o) [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 3:43pm on 12/11/05
- YES! YES! One can never have enough homemade soup! - Luisa_Calif - 4:09pm on 12/11/05
- Yes Luisa, I for one am totally up for reposting of old swap recipes, what do others think? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 4:34pm on 12/11/05
- I was pondering that question also Pat... - Dawn_MO - 5:33pm on 12/11/05
- We can do it however you guys want... - Mimi - 7:07pm on 12/11/05
- Mimi, I'd been wondering this too.... - GayleMO - 5:42am on 12/12/05
- I second....er....THIRD that. Yes, let's repost (more) - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:54pm on 12/11/05
- Tough nouggies if they get upset, they are OUR recipes which they have dismissed inelegantly... [NT] - sandra-in-london - 10:06pm on 12/11/05
- Maria's Famous T&T Chicken Noodle Soup - MariaDNoCA - 8:44pm on 12/11/05
- REC: Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup - MariaDNoCA - 8:47pm on 12/11/05
- REC: Hot and Sour Soup - MariaDNoCA - 8:51pm on 12/11/05
- REC: dia/OKC's Chicken & Tortilla Soup - MariaDNoCA - 8:52pm on 12/11/05
- Smokey Corn & Shrimp Chowder. Sooo good, sooo easy - Marg CDN - 7:07pm on 12/12/05