Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Why don't you use a slightly sweeter chocolate, such as 55 - 60 per cent? Still is a good
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #17680 at 11:20 am on Feb 10, 2010
source of antioxidants. If that's too dark for you, I would just add some milk chocolate to the bittersweet - I definitely wouldn't add white chocolate - blech.
Meanwhile, cocoa powder is a better source of antioxidants than bar chocolate, and is very low in fat. Here's some interesting info:
"As nice as it is to think that chocolate is healthy, it really isnít. The main component of chocolate is cocoa butter, which is pure fat (although, like olive oil, a heart-healthy fat). A bar at 70% cacao content contains 40% cocoa butter and 30% sugar, which leaves 30% for cacao particles, which is what delivers the antioxidants. So by the time you eat enough chocolate to actually receive benefits from its antioxidants, you will have consumed more calories and fat than is recommended for a well balanced diet. Cocoa powder, however, is low in fat and calories and consists of 100% cacao particles, thus making it a better source of antioxidants than chocolate."
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 17680. Does anyone know if adding white "chocolate" wafers to 70 percent dark chocolate (the "good" choc) - DawnNYS - 10:59am on 02/10/10 (10)
- Why don't you use a slightly sweeter chocolate, such as 55 - 60 per cent? Still is a good [LINK] - Meryl - 11:20am on 02/10/10
- Thanks for the info, but must be at least 70 to get the benefits... - DawnNYS - 2:16pm on 02/10/10
- That's not correct - it's 55-60 and up. Let me know how it turns out if you add the white. - Meryl - 2:33pm on 02/10/10
- You are still getting the benefits but less by volume. Just think of it - Luisa_Calif - 7:29pm on 02/10/10
- Thanks, Luisa - you worded it better than I did. :) [NT] - Meryl - 7:38pm on 02/10/10
- Good - you just confirmed what I thought - you're eating it, but you'd just - DawnNYS - 10:10pm on 02/10/10
- Another reason to eat your Valentine Chocolates without feeling guilty. [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 9:36am on 02/12/10
- I wonder if they need volunteers for their new study? [NT] - AngAk - 1:23pm on 02/12/10
- I'm impressed by your willingness to give so much for the sake of Scientific research. ;-) [NT] - Curious1 - 7:55am on 02/13/10
- I wonder.... - SallyBR - 11:01am on 02/14/10