Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Smashed Peas, Avocado & Asparagus Open-faced Slab.
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29607 at 9:20 am on May 3, 2017
When I was in NYC, Sandra & Heidi took me to the Plaza's Food Hall. Not sure which vendor we had lunch at, [edited: we ate at Tartinery] but I had an amazing open faced sandwich that was simply smashed peas, avocado slices and small 1" pieces of asparagus spears. There was also parmesan cheese shaved on top, but I'm betting you can find a suitable vegan substitute.
The bread was a dense country-style, sliced on the diagonal so it was quite long, but thin. Toasted to perfection...there is nothing I detest more than soggy toast.
Well...given a few moments I'm SURE I can come up with MORE THINGS I DETEST than just soggy toast, but you get my drift here.
In a lifetime spent avoiding green stuff, I was extremely pleased with this simple but flavorful dish.
And it's a HAND-HELD food that doesn't drip.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
Other messages in this thread:
- 29607. Avocado Toast Ideas? It's time for the Spring Garden Tour again! We were promised a case of avocados - Joe - 10:44pm on 05/02/17 (14)
- And here is the menu for our tour. It is a bus trip through four community gardens with food, music - Joe - 10:46pm on 05/02/17
- GORGEOUS menu, Joe. Really wonderful. Here is an idea for Avocado Toast: - CathyZ from Kauai - 11:43am on 05/03/17
- Lovely! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 12:23pm on 05/03/17
- Joe, the menu sounds amazing! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 3:42pm on 05/04/17
- Smashed Peas, Avocado & Asparagus Open-faced Slab. - MarilynFL - 9:20am on 05/03/17
- Here is Tartinery's menu version now (missing the peas, which I really liked) - MarilynFL - 9:34am on 05/03/17
- This simpler version with cumin dressing looks lovely too. [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 9:38am on 05/03/17
- I love making avocado toast on locally made Italian white bread, toasted, then brushed with - KarenNoCA - 11:00am on 05/03/17
- A friend made this Avocado Bruschetta with Balsamic Reduction for a party. They were delish. [NT] [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 3:56pm on 05/03/17
- Avocado-Pesto - Richard in Cincy - 4:29pm on 05/03/17
- Beautiful menu! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 6:41pm on 05/03/17
- Thank you everyone! I'm now leaning toward Cathy's version with cilantro pesto, topped with cumin- - Joe - 10:20pm on 05/03/17
- I was the happy/lucky recipient of a flat-rate box of J&J Avocadoes. Everyone - MarilynFL - 8:53am on 05/04/17
- How fun it that! Very, very cool! [NT] - barb_b - 12:12pm on 05/04/17