Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Thank you Marilyn for sharing THE BEST Shrimp and Grits recipe
Joined: Jun 15, 2006
Posted to Thread #29613 at 10:07 am on May 5, 2017
Now that we've eaten a truly weight-gaining amount of shrimp and grits prepared by "fine establishments" throughout the country, I feel supremely qualified to say, "Marilyn's recipe is by far THE BEST (IMHO)!"
Marilyn's Shrimp and Grits
Hominy Grill's Shrimp & Grits (Charleston, SC) slightly adapted Serves 2 BIG portions
2 slices thick bacon, diced
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled (~16 large)
2 TBL flour
4 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced thick
1 TBL butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large shallot, diced
healthy squeeze of fresh lemon juice
few heavy shakes of hot sauce
fresh parsley or green onions
Have shrimp cleaned and patted dry. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.
Using a cast iron skillet, add the diced bacon and render until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel and drain off all grease, reserving it.
Add 1 TBL bacon grease and one TBL butter and sauté mushrooms until liquid has exuded. Season with pepper.
Remove to a side dish.
Sauté diced shallot and garlic for 1 minute. Remove to mushroom dish.
Toss shrimp with flour. Add 1 TBL bacon grease to skillet and sauté shrimp for 1 minutes. Flip and add bacon, mushrooms, shallots and garlic. Toss and cook for another minute.
Squeeze lemon juice and hot sauce and toss all around. Serve over hot grits, sprinkle with parsley (restaurant uses green onions).
Rush to the table and dive in.
BEFORE YOU START THE SHRIMP:
(Polenta Facile) GRITS (w/S&G add-ins): with photo tutorial
1 cup grits (M used coarse ground grits from Boonville Mill, NC.)
4 cups water
1/2 TBL salt
Cook for 2 hours covered over double boiler --with the bottom of the top section TOUCHING the simmering water--over low heat, stirring once every 30 minutes. Use a timer to remind you to stir.
You can serve directly, but I make it ahead of time and refrigerate in 2 containers.
Divide one container into two large bowls, break up firm grits and drizzle with a TBL of heavy cream per bowl. Cover and microwave for 3 minutes. Add shredded cheddar cheese on top. Cover with plate to melt the cheese and go cook those shrimp.
Bowl is hot, grits are hot, shrimp is hot.
All ya'll enjoy! Marilyn
Link: Marilyn's THE BEST Shrimp and Grits
Other messages in this thread:
- 29613. Thank you Marilyn for sharing THE BEST Shrimp and Grits recipe [LINK] [IMAGE] - colleenmomof2 - 10:07am on 05/05/17 (6)
- NOT going to try this but - Southern-Style Shrimp and Grits [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 10:42am on 05/05/17
- Shrimp and grits was brought to "the world" by Bill Neal at Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill. Before - Charley - 11:04am on 05/05/17
- Here is a shrimp and grits casserole that can be made ahead. We have served it - Charley - 11:10am on 05/05/17
- Top BEST OF criteria for us - low fat - colleenmomof2 - 11:50am on 05/05/17
- I have even used skim milk. Still makes a difference. ;o) [NT] - Charley - 11:56am on 05/05/17
- well Thank You, missy! Very glad you enjoyed them. [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:42am on 05/06/17