Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here is a shrimp and grits casserole that can be made ahead. We have served it
Joined: Aug 15, 2007
Posted to Thread #29613 at 3:10 pm on May 5, 2017
for many a wedding breakfast here. There are not many recipes for grits that can be made ahead.
1 C grits Prepare according to package instructions
4C water (or 1/2 water and 1/2 milk) adding cheese, butter, after cooking
1/4 tsp pepper (white)
1 C shredded cheese
2 TBS butter
salt to taste
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/4 C sliced mushrooms
1 14oz. artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
2 TBS white wine
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and cooked
1/2 C fine bread crumbs
1/4 C Parmesan
2 C white sauce
Melt 3 TBS butter in pan. Add 3 TBS flour and 1/2 tsp salt and whisk smooth. Whisk in 2 C milk, bring to a boil stirring constantly. Season with dash of hot sauce and pepper. Cook until thickened. Cover with plastic wrap (onto surface) to keep from forming a skin.
Saute onion, mushrooms in butter until translucent. Add artichoke hearts and heat through. Add wine and cook until it evaporates.
Mix vegetables, shrimp and grits. Place in a buttered 9 X 13 casserole dish. Spread white sauce over the grits.
Mix 1/2 C fine bread crumbs with 1/4 C Parmesan Cheese. Sprinkle over the casserole and drizzle with a little melted butter.
Bake about 20 minutes at 350 until top is browned and the casserole is bubbly. Do not overcook or the shrimp will dry out and be overdone. Can be fixed one day early and refrigerated. However, remove from fridge at least one hour before cooking.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29613. Thank you Marilyn for sharing THE BEST Shrimp and Grits recipe [LINK] [IMAGE] - colleenmomof2 - 2:07pm on 05/05/17 (6)
- NOT going to try this but - Southern-Style Shrimp and Grits [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 2:42pm on 05/05/17
- Shrimp and grits was brought to "the world" by Bill Neal at Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill. Before - Charley - 3:04pm on 05/05/17
- Here is a shrimp and grits casserole that can be made ahead. We have served it - Charley - 3:10pm on 05/05/17
- Top BEST OF criteria for us - low fat - colleenmomof2 - 3:50pm on 05/05/17
- I have even used skim milk. Still makes a difference. ;o) [NT] - Charley - 3:56pm on 05/05/17
- well Thank You, missy! Very glad you enjoyed them. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:42pm on 05/06/17