Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here is another link that uses pectin and describes the entire process in great detail.
Joined: Aug 15, 2007
Posted to Thread #29633 at 12:07 pm on May 17, 2017
I do not agree at all with adding extra pectin and have never had "runny" jam/jelly following the directions in the Sure Jell package.
My test for jelling is taking a spoon, dipping in the liquid and tilting the spoon. When it comes off in a "sheet" rather than droplets, it is jelled--it coalesces on the edge of the spoon and falls off in an "sheet". Once you see it you will totally understand it. (Her picture has it jelling ON the spoon--the jelly will be too tight, IMO. ;o)
I think it is Mistral who is a master canner here.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29633. ISO your favorite sweet cherry jam or preserve recipe?? My tree is loaded! [NT] - cheezz - 5:33am on 05/17/17 (11)
- Here is David Leibowitz's no pectin recipe. I make just about every other kind of - Charley - 11:17am on 05/17/17
- I have used Liebowitz's recipe and it works great! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 8:02pm on 05/18/17
- Here is another link that uses pectin and describes the entire process in great detail. - Charley - 12:07pm on 05/17/17
- The plate test is what I use with Liebowitz's instructions . . . - mistral - 8:14pm on 05/18/17
- I would like to water bath them for a better seal - will 15 min affect the final product? [NT] - cheezz - 5:42am on 05/20/17
- No, it should not affect the final product, and it will make a great seal. (nt) [NT] - mistral - 7:37pm on 05/20/17
- Mistral help!!! My jam didn't jell enough - can I re-boil it? [NT] - cheezz - 4:02pm on 05/22/17
- No pectin - just cherries and sugar [NT] - cheezz - 4:04pm on 05/22/17
- Hey, cheezz, I thought you lived in the L.A. area? What variety (name) of cherries are you growing? [NT] - mistral - 8:23pm on 05/18/17
- Bing. And yes, I did live in L.A. but moved to the Sacramento area last year. [NT] - cheezz - 5:40am on 05/20/17
- I want a sweet cherry Tree! [NT] - barb_b - 12:53am on 05/20/17