Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
The plate test is what I use with Liebowitz's instructions . . .
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Posted to Thread #29633 at 4:14 pm on May 18, 2017
I made sweet cherry jam with his instructions. I had no problems with jelling BUT you DO need to use a wide, open pan for the quickest evaporation. Also, a larger batch of jam will need an increase in pan size for best results. A tall, more narrow pan will mean a longer boil time, which could mean a more cooked, caramelized jam. Big, wide, open pans will give the fastest, most fresh tasting results.
And I agree, jelling in a mound on a spoon WOULD be too tight. I have made added pectin jams, especially blueberry, that have set up *solid*, almost like a jelly candy. I now add at least 1/2 cup extra blueberries to added pectin blueberry jam. Of course, we tend towards more dry blueberries out here, at least when they are fresh.
A Proud "Master Food Preserver San Bernardino County" since 1996!
Other messages in this thread:
- 29633. ISO your favorite sweet cherry jam or preserve recipe?? My tree is loaded! [NT] - cheezz - 1:33am on 05/17/17 (11)
- Here is David Leibowitz's no pectin recipe. I make just about every other kind of - Charley - 7:17am on 05/17/17
- I have used Liebowitz's recipe and it works great! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 4:02pm on 05/18/17
- Here is another link that uses pectin and describes the entire process in great detail. - Charley - 8:07am on 05/17/17
- The plate test is what I use with Liebowitz's instructions . . . - mistral - 4:14pm on 05/18/17
- I would like to water bath them for a better seal - will 15 min affect the final product? [NT] - cheezz - 1:42am on 05/20/17
- No, it should not affect the final product, and it will make a great seal. (nt) [NT] - mistral - 3:37pm on 05/20/17
- Mistral help!!! My jam didn't jell enough - can I re-boil it? [NT] - cheezz - 12:02pm on 05/22/17
- No pectin - just cherries and sugar [NT] - cheezz - 12:04pm on 05/22/17
- Hey, cheezz, I thought you lived in the L.A. area? What variety (name) of cherries are you growing? [NT] - mistral - 4:23pm on 05/18/17
- Bing. And yes, I did live in L.A. but moved to the Sacramento area last year. [NT] - cheezz - 1:40am on 05/20/17
- I want a sweet cherry Tree! [NT] - barb_b - 8:53pm on 05/19/17