Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
My grandmother and I made my wedding cake the day before my wedding
Joined: Jan 8, 2006
Posted to Thread #29641 at 9:07 pm on May 22, 2017
She had the cake layers made, soaked and glazed with apricot jam and tons of "french buttercream" made when I got there. The arthritis in her hands didn't allow her to frost or especially use a decorating bag any more, so that was my job. I had already made a whole bunch of tiny royal icing flowers to add to the decorations.
I swear I thought I would have a nervous breakdown before we finally finished. The buttercream tasted fantastic, but it was not at all stable, so the butter wanted to melt out of it from the heat of my hands on the bag. It also didn't really appreciate a 45 minute trip in a car on a very hot June day in Texas.
I swore never again. I didn't have ANYTHING ELSE to do on the day before my wedding:)
Other messages in this thread:
- 29641. Has anyone made a wedding cake? Like a tiered layer cake wedding cake? How did it go? - MariaDNoCA - 5:11pm on 05/21/17 (13)
- Maria, I've made several *grooms* cakes for informal weddings--- - MarilynFL - 9:56pm on 05/21/17
- Also I emailed you (gmail account) a large 5M pdf file with wedding cakes. [NT] - MarilynFL - 10:38am on 05/22/17
- Yes, I've made a few and you've got the gist of it. Marilyn has good ideas [NT] - cheezz - 4:00pm on 05/22/17
- My grandmother and I made my wedding cake the day before my wedding - Melissa Dallas - 9:07pm on 05/22/17
- Rose Levy Beranbaum has a buttercream icing that she claims holds up in humid weather. - MarilynFL - 2:48pm on 05/23/17
- In addition to the great points others made, keep in mind the weight of the finished product - LisainLA - 4:41am on 05/23/17
- LisainLA is so right.! - daricem - 6:31pm on 05/23/17
- Yes my thought would be to assemble it on site — I fear transport. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 7:44pm on 05/23/17
- And depending on how high the tiers, there may even be platforms within - Charley - 12:10pm on 05/29/17
- Once assembled, whittle a dowel to a point and push thru center of cake - cheezz - 10:41pm on 05/23/17
- ...and, bonus points, you're now armed should you be attacked by vampires. [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:58pm on 05/24/17
- So true! And at weddings...you just never know what relatives might show up :) [NT] - cheezz - 5:36am on 05/25/17
- ha! [NT] - MarilynFL - 7:26pm on 05/25/17