Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Soup Sundays and how to see your friends and family more.
Joined: Feb 5, 2006
Posted to Thread #29646 at 6:11 am on May 24, 2017
As I mentioned in my previpous post, the last two years have beenÖ..challenging. Or as hubby says, ďYou have to stop almost-dying every other yearĒ. :-D
One thing I have realized though, is that friends and family are IMPORTANT! They cannot be replaced by anyone or anything, so after my illness I decided to see them more. But thing is, itís a lot of work to have people over for dinner, and if it happens often, it also gets expensive. So I needed to approach my plan from a different angle. And hence the Soup Sundays arose.
Long story short: Every other Sunday I invite friends or family (or a mix) for soup. I make a huge pot of soup the day before (so I can just reheat it before the guests arrive) and then I make No-Knead bread (I set the dough the night before) on Sunday morning.
Also, we are known to eat a lot of bananas and oranges in our house, so I also make a quick banana bread or orange sponge cake the same morning. The guests arrive at 2 pm for soup and freshly baked bread, and after the soup we have coffee and cake. I also serve wine or beer, but since itís Sunday most people stick to just a glass, so thatís not breaking the bank either.
We are usually done by 6 or 7 pm, so I and hubby get the night to ourselves so we can wind down and get ready for a new week.
My soup Sundays have been a huge success, and people are constantly telling me how they appreciate the laid back style and home cooked food. And I love that.
Now as the weather is getting warmer, Iím thinking of making a couple of salads instead of a soup and just put some meat or fish on the grill to go with it. Iíll still serve bread (and butter!) of course, because mye home made bread is very popular (doesnít people bake bread anymore?), but I donít think summer and hot soup is a great match.
So there you go. Itís a stress free and budget friendly way to see friends and family and have a good time :-)
"I Love Cooking With Wine. Sometimes I Even Put It In The Food."
Other messages in this thread:
- 29646. Soup Sundays and how to see your friends and family more. - EvaN - 6:11am on 05/24/17 (23)
- Salads would be nice, but don't overlook cold soup! - judy-mass - 7:42am on 05/24/17
- What a nice thing to do Eva. We had company for lunch over the weekend - KarenNoCA - 11:03am on 05/24/17
- Judy, is your recipe for the cold soup posted on Eat. at? [NT] - KarenNoCA - 11:05am on 05/24/17
- REC: Cold Avocado and Cucumber Soup - judy-mass - 5:18pm on 05/24/17
- REC: Chilled Zucchini and Avocado Soup - judy-mass - 5:24pm on 05/24/17
- ROASTED TOMATO AND RED PEPPER GAZPACHO - orchid - 6:53pm on 05/24/17
- Here is the link to the recipe above, if you care to save in CopyMeThat! [LINK] - judy-mass - 7:19pm on 05/24/17
- This is great, Judy and Karen. Cold soup never crossed my mind - but it would fit - EvaN - 1:28am on 05/25/17
- I think of cold soups as a first course... - judy-mass - 7:54am on 05/25/17
- Judy, what a great idea. I could serve a cold soup, then some cold cuts and cheese, maybe a veggie - EvaN - 3:54am on 05/26/17
- Yes it is, along with a simple green salad. I have had some rather - KarenNoCA - 9:30am on 05/25/17
- I totally agree with everything you said, Karen. Most of us can benefit - EvaN - 3:52am on 05/26/17
- Thanks for posting the recipes. We love cold soups in the summer! [NT] - KarenNoCA - 9:36am on 05/25/17
- Love it. So nice to see you again Eva! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 2:13pm on 05/24/17
- Hiya! This link has quite a few cold soups in the thread. How about changing that bread dough [LINK] - MoNJ - 9:27am on 05/25/17
- This sounds like so much fun. I bet those small naan breads would really work well for this idea [LINK] - KarenNoCA - 12:47pm on 05/26/17
- We love grilled pizza! - colleenmomof2 - 2:33pm on 05/26/17
- MoNJ, we already have Saturday Pizza - LOL. I make mine really simple these days: - EvaN - 3:04am on 05/27/17
- Reminds me of this book. Mr. Sunday Soups [NT] [LINK] - Traca - 1:54pm on 05/25/17
- Hadn't heard about this book before, Traca. Thanks for sharing :-) [NT] - EvaN - 3:50am on 05/26/17
- Thanks, Traca! Ordered this and Mr. and Mrs. Sunday Suppers from our library - colleenmomof2 - 3:05pm on 05/26/17
- I just ordered the book also :-) [NT] - EvaN - 2:38am on 05/28/17
- Welcome home, Eva :-) [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 2:41pm on 05/26/17