Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
ROASTED TOMATO AND RED PEPPER GAZPACHO
Joined: Dec 15, 2005
Posted to Thread #29646 at 6:53 pm on May 24, 2017
ROASTED TOMATO AND RED PEPPER GAZPACHO
Bon Appétit, July 2004
The gazpacho needs to be started a day ahead, so be sure to plan accordingly.
Makes 10 servings.
4 pounds plum tomatoes, halved
5 large red bell peppers, divided
4 medium-size red onions, divided
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 cups water, divided
3 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 English hothouse cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
Extra-virgin olive oil preparation
Preheat oven to 450°F. Place tomatoes on large rimmed baking sheet. Cut 4 peppers into 1-inch pieces; place on another rimmed baking sheet. Cut 3 onions into 1-inch pieces; add to peppers. Drizzle 1/2 cup oil over vegetables, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with salt. Roast vegetables until soft and slightly charred, about 50 minutes, switching positions of pans after 25 minutes. Puree half of vegetables with pan juices in processor until smooth. Add 1 cup water; process until very smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Repeat with remaining vegetables and 1 cup water. Cover gazpacho; chill overnight.
Mix remaining 1 cup water, vinegar, and hot pepper sauce into gazpacho. Season to taste with salt.
Finely dice remaining bell pepper and onion; mix with cucumber. Pour gazpacho into bowls; top with diced vegetables and a drizzle of oil.
Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we may diet.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29646. Soup Sundays and how to see your friends and family more. - EvaN - 6:11am on 05/24/17 (23)
- Salads would be nice, but don't overlook cold soup! - judy-mass - 7:42am on 05/24/17
- What a nice thing to do Eva. We had company for lunch over the weekend - KarenNoCA - 11:03am on 05/24/17
- Judy, is your recipe for the cold soup posted on Eat. at? [NT] - KarenNoCA - 11:05am on 05/24/17
- REC: Cold Avocado and Cucumber Soup - judy-mass - 5:18pm on 05/24/17
- REC: Chilled Zucchini and Avocado Soup - judy-mass - 5:24pm on 05/24/17
- ROASTED TOMATO AND RED PEPPER GAZPACHO - orchid - 6:53pm on 05/24/17
- Here is the link to the recipe above, if you care to save in CopyMeThat! [LINK] - judy-mass - 7:19pm on 05/24/17
- This is great, Judy and Karen. Cold soup never crossed my mind - but it would fit - EvaN - 1:28am on 05/25/17
- I think of cold soups as a first course... - judy-mass - 7:54am on 05/25/17
- Judy, what a great idea. I could serve a cold soup, then some cold cuts and cheese, maybe a veggie - EvaN - 3:54am on 05/26/17
- Yes it is, along with a simple green salad. I have had some rather - KarenNoCA - 9:30am on 05/25/17
- I totally agree with everything you said, Karen. Most of us can benefit - EvaN - 3:52am on 05/26/17
- Thanks for posting the recipes. We love cold soups in the summer! [NT] - KarenNoCA - 9:36am on 05/25/17
- Love it. So nice to see you again Eva! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 2:13pm on 05/24/17
- Hiya! This link has quite a few cold soups in the thread. How about changing that bread dough [LINK] - MoNJ - 9:27am on 05/25/17
- This sounds like so much fun. I bet those small naan breads would really work well for this idea [LINK] - KarenNoCA - 12:47pm on 05/26/17
- We love grilled pizza! - colleenmomof2 - 2:33pm on 05/26/17
- MoNJ, we already have Saturday Pizza - LOL. I make mine really simple these days: - EvaN - 3:04am on 05/27/17
- Reminds me of this book. Mr. Sunday Soups [NT] [LINK] - Traca - 1:54pm on 05/25/17
- Hadn't heard about this book before, Traca. Thanks for sharing :-) [NT] - EvaN - 3:50am on 05/26/17
- Thanks, Traca! Ordered this and Mr. and Mrs. Sunday Suppers from our library - colleenmomof2 - 3:05pm on 05/26/17
- I just ordered the book also :-) [NT] - EvaN - 2:38am on 05/28/17
- Welcome home, Eva :-) [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 2:41pm on 05/26/17