Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Inside id a link to what may have happened with you Cherry Jam: . . .
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Posted to Thread #29645 at 8:12 pm on May 25, 2017
This is a good article; and it mentions various reasons that can cause a jam not to set.
I had forgotten about the ripe/unripe fruit ratio. Since, as OChef mentions here, ripe cherries are low in pecti, it would be very important to use less ripe fruit mixed in with the ripe, especially if using the no-added-pectin method of jam making:
Link: Cherry Jam did not jell at OChef
A Proud "Master Food Preserver San Bernardino County" since 1996!
Other messages in this thread:
- 29645. Help! Any jammers out there? My cherry jam didn't gel enough - can I re-boil it? [NT] - cheezz - 5:42am on 05/24/17 (13)
- I checked with my mom who is an avid jam maker and she said yes :-) [NT] - EvaN - 10:42am on 05/24/17
- a second "yes". Cook to 220* or do the sheet test. Dip your spoon into the jam - Charley - 12:29pm on 05/24/17
- Well, rats. I scraped all the jam out into a pan, resterilized jars, got new seals - cheezz - 5:33am on 05/25/17
- Can you buy a "jam thickener" or something like that were you live? - EvaN - 8:45am on 05/25/17
- I wanted just the pure organic fruit and organic sugar...no additives [NT] - cheezz - 3:50pm on 05/26/17
- I'm glad Mistral found an answer for you. Low pectin fruits really just need some - Charley - 12:28pm on 05/27/17
- Can you post the recipe/ratios you used? (more) - daricem - 5:16pm on 05/25/17
- Are you sure your thermometer is right on? Any way, try letting it set for a while. . . - mistral - 5:45pm on 05/25/17
- Pie filling! What a good idea...thanks! [NT] - cheezz - 3:51pm on 05/26/17
- Inside id a link to what may have happened with you Cherry Jam: . . . [LINK] - mistral - 8:12pm on 05/25/17
- Yes, I bet it was the perfectly ripe cherries. I didn't realize ripeness had anything to do with it! - cheezz - 3:18pm on 05/26/17
- All due respect to David (and I think I looked at that recipe), when I make - Charley - 12:32pm on 05/27/17
- I am no expert but I have never had trouble getting jam to set. I make freezer jam only - KarenNoCA - 11:11pm on 05/25/17