Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I am no expert but I have never had trouble getting jam to set. I make freezer jam only
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #29645 at 11:11 pm on May 25, 2017
and use Sure Gel. I feel that freezer jam tastes more like the fresh fruit. I have only made Strawberry jam, because that is what my hubby's mom made and it is what he likes. But I make it every two years.. You have to make sure the sugar dissolves.
Nothing wrong with ice cream topping.....I just did some very ripe strawberries with sugar, let them macerate and froze them.
~*Many things will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those*~
Other messages in this thread:
- 29645. Help! Any jammers out there? My cherry jam didn't gel enough - can I re-boil it? [NT] - cheezz - 5:42am on 05/24/17 (13)
- I checked with my mom who is an avid jam maker and she said yes :-) [NT] - EvaN - 10:42am on 05/24/17
- a second "yes". Cook to 220* or do the sheet test. Dip your spoon into the jam - Charley - 12:29pm on 05/24/17
- Well, rats. I scraped all the jam out into a pan, resterilized jars, got new seals - cheezz - 5:33am on 05/25/17
- Can you buy a "jam thickener" or something like that were you live? - EvaN - 8:45am on 05/25/17
- I wanted just the pure organic fruit and organic sugar...no additives [NT] - cheezz - 3:50pm on 05/26/17
- I'm glad Mistral found an answer for you. Low pectin fruits really just need some - Charley - 12:28pm on 05/27/17
- Can you post the recipe/ratios you used? (more) - daricem - 5:16pm on 05/25/17
- Are you sure your thermometer is right on? Any way, try letting it set for a while. . . - mistral - 5:45pm on 05/25/17
- Pie filling! What a good idea...thanks! [NT] - cheezz - 3:51pm on 05/26/17
- Inside id a link to what may have happened with you Cherry Jam: . . . [LINK] - mistral - 8:12pm on 05/25/17
- Yes, I bet it was the perfectly ripe cherries. I didn't realize ripeness had anything to do with it! - cheezz - 3:18pm on 05/26/17
- All due respect to David (and I think I looked at that recipe), when I make - Charley - 12:32pm on 05/27/17
- I am no expert but I have never had trouble getting jam to set. I make freezer jam only - KarenNoCA - 11:11pm on 05/25/17