Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Ricotta-stuffed Fried Squash Blossoms
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #91 at 12:25 am on Aug 16, 2012
Fried Squash Blossoms
Recipe courtesy Gabriele Corcos and Debi Mazar, Extra Virgin, 2011
Yield:4 to 6 servings
16 zucchini flowers
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
One 12-ounce bottle lager beer
Vegetable oil, for frying
Use your fingers to carefully dig a hole on the side of the zucchini flower, opening it enough to dig out with you pointer the pollen stem that is inside. Gently rinse the flowers under a sprinkle of cold water, paying attention not to damage the thin petals, then lay on a rag and pat dry.
Fill a piping bag with the ricotta cheese and pipe 2 to 3 teaspoons of the ricotta into each flower. Twist the petals to close tightly so the cheese doesn't escape during frying.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, parsley, a couple of generous pinches of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Slowly start pouring the beer into the mix, using a whisk or a fork to make the batter; mix to eliminate any lumps.
Add the vegetable oil to the bottom of a heavy skillet until it comes up the sides 2 inches, making sure the oil is not more than halfway up the sides. Heat the vegetable oil until hot.
Dip the filled flowers through the batter then carefully add to the hot oil. Fry, flipping halfway through frying, until the blossoms are golden and crisp, 2 minutes.
Remove and place on a large dish lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt to taste while still hot.
[Online recipe calls for 2-3 Tablespoons of ricotta for each flower. It has to be a misprint. Next time I will probably add an egg to the batter, but the parsley was a nice touch]
Other messages in this thread:
- 91. Summer Birthday Dinner - Joe - 12:16am on 08/16/12 (7)
- Sundried Tomato Anchovies and Capers - Joe - 12:19am on 08/16/12
- Ricotta-stuffed Fried Squash Blossoms [LINK] - Joe - 12:25am on 08/16/12
- Escabeche - Joe - 12:35am on 08/16/12
- My Great-aunt's Eggplant Parmesan [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 12:38am on 08/16/12
- Jacques Pepin's Roasted Split Chicken with Mustard Crust [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 12:39am on 08/16/12
- Cucumber Salad - Joe - 12:41am on 08/16/12
- Crostata Di Ricotta [LINK] - Joe - 12:45am on 08/16/12