Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
One of my favorite hearty salads: Summer Tabouli with Farro from Ancient Grains
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
Posted to Thread #24824 at 9:00 pm on Aug 14, 2013
I've accompanied it with slices of steak, chicken, or shrimp.
Summer Tabouli with Farro
Recipe courtesy of Ancient Grains for Modern Meals Cookbook, Maria Speck
2 cups of water
1 cup farro
2-inch spring rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried (optional)
Tabouli, and to finish:
2 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes, (3/4 pound)
1 cup loosely packed chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
3/4 teaspoon minced hot green chile (optional)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. To prepare farro, bring the water, farro and rosemary to a boil in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Decrease the heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook until the farro is tender but still slightly chewy, 20-25 minutes. Remove the rosemary sprig, drain any remaining liquid, and transfer the farro to a large serving bowl to cool.
2. Once the farro has cooled, make the tabouli by adding the tomatoes, parsley, onion and chile to the serving bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
3. To finish, pour the dressing over the tabouli and toss to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes for the flavors to mingle, and serve.
To get a head start, make the farro (as in step 1) ahead.
You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M
Other messages in this thread:
- 24824. Have we considered a "lunch" thread? - emtd - 4:12pm on 08/12/13 (13)
- If he has a microwave available to him, my - DawnNYS - 7:41pm on 08/13/13
- Good idea thanks Dawn. I'll pass it along. [NT] - emtd - 9:51pm on 08/13/13
- I would suggest purchasing a panini maker for him for the holidays. I love mine! Perfect for [LINK] - barb_b - 10:54am on 08/14/13
- I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with Campbell's "GO" soups - MarilynFL - 5:47pm on 08/14/13
- I haven't heard of this product. I'll take a look thanks. As for panini's ... - emtd - 8:09pm on 08/14/13
- I have recently rediscovered stuffed chicken breasts. Make a pocket, stuff with whatever, - Traca - 8:50pm on 08/14/13
- One of my favorite hearty salads: Summer Tabouli with Farro from Ancient Grains - Traca - 9:00pm on 08/14/13
- Another option for his wraps: North African Ground Meat Kebabs - Traca - 9:01pm on 08/14/13
- This is awesome for leftovers: Couscous with Lamb, Honeyed Caramelized Onions, Raisins - Traca - 9:04pm on 08/14/13
- Serve with rice - Aromatic Slow-Cooked Chicken - Traca - 9:06pm on 08/14/13
- Trader Joes has rice in their freezer section. Individual portions...just microwave to heat. [NT] - Traca - 9:07pm on 08/14/13
- there are also nice quinoa mixes that can be microwaved. Costco had some. we've re-discovered - AngAk1 - 11:08pm on 08/14/13
- Wow - lots of great ideas. Thank you Traca and AngAK for - emtd - 4:05am on 08/15/13