Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
T & T REC: Over the Rainbow Macaroni and Cheese
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #134 at 8:03 pm on Dec 18, 2005
Over the Rainbow Macaroni and Cheese
Hubby absolutely loved this mac and cheese! Patti says if you donít want to use all five cheeses you can get away with just the Velveeta and Sharp Cheddar, it wonít be over the rainbow, but itíll be pretty good. And on special occasions, she sometimes adds an extra stick of butter, in which case it goes over the moon! If you use 2 sticks of butter, substitute milk for the half-and-half. - from Patti LaBelle
Makes 4 - 6 generous servings
1 T vegetable oil
1 lb elbow macaroni
8 T (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon butter
1/2 c (2 oz) shredded Muenster cheese
1/2 c (2 oz) shredded Mild Cheddar cheese
1/2 c (2 oz) shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 c (2 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 c half-and-half
1 c (8 oz) Velveeta, cut into small cubes
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 t seasoned salt
1/8 t freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350ļF. Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the oil, then the elbow macaroni, and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well. Return to the cooking pot.
In a small saucepan, melt 8 tablespoons of butter. Stir into the macaroni. In a large bowl, mix the Muenster, Mild and Sharp Cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses. To the macaroni, add the half-and-half, 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, the cubed Velveeta, and eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer to the buttered casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
Bake until itís bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.
The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way. - MTwain
Other messages in this thread:
- 134. ISO: a T&T Mac and Cheese, I LOVE mac & cheese but never make it... - Barbara in VA - 5:48pm on 12/17/05 (14)
- More a method than a REC but darn tasty- goes right to your hips too - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:09pm on 12/17/05
- Rec: Macaroni and Cheese, one of my comfort foods ;o) - Pat-NoCal - 6:45pm on 12/19/05
- Ooops, didn't mean to put this under your post Cathy. Must need more java to navigate better. ;o) [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 6:46pm on 12/19/05
- Rec: Martha Stewart's Mac & Cheese. My favorite... - orchid - 7:42pm on 12/17/05
- My T & T method for making Macaroni and cheese. - Gail_in_FL - 9:08pm on 12/17/05
- Gail - This is exactly the method/recipe I use! - Carianna in WA - 1:05am on 12/19/05
- A Different Macaroni & Cheese - Sandy in Baltimore - 12:05am on 12/18/05
- Olga posted a great recipe for Buttermilk Macaroni & Cheese just before Gail's shut down - Mimi - 1:54am on 12/18/05
- T&T Macaroni and Cheese from Deb/TN... bless her heart... - Friday - 7:45pm on 12/18/05
- T & T REC: Over the Rainbow Macaroni and Cheese - MariaDNoCA - 8:03pm on 12/18/05
- Thanks so much to everyone who replied! I have copied and will now.. - Barbara in VA - 8:36pm on 12/18/05
- I second this! This is an absolute keeper! Unfortunately, I have trouble w/ the archives, not (m) - barb_b - 9:15pm on 12/18/05
- REC: Layered Macaroni & Cheese Casserole - RuthAB - 1:02am on 12/19/05
- Perfect timing! My friends are having a Mac N' Cheese cookoff after the new year... - scarlett - 12:08am on 12/20/05