Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Similar to my fave salad. BEET AND GOAT CHEESE SALAD WITH PISTACHIOS
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #11927 at 2:56 pm on Sep 11, 2008
Interesting how we get food combos in our heads and just do all we can with them.
BEET AND GOAT CHEESE SALAD WITH PISTACHIOS
Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 2 1/2 hr
3 large red beets (1 2/3 lb without greens)
2 large golden beets (1 lb without greens) (I used all red)
1/4 cup minced shallot
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup pistachio oil (I used hazelnut & grape seed oils 1:1)
4 oz soft mild goat cheese
3 tablespoons salted shelled pistachios (not dyed red), coarsely chopped (hazelnuts would work just as well)
1 oz mâche (also called lamb's lettuce), trimmed (4 cups)
Special equipment: a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter (without handle; at least 2 inches high)
Preheat oven to 425̊F.
Separately wrap red and golden beets tightly in double layers of foil and roast in middle of oven until tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Unwrap beets.
While beets are cooling slightly, whisk together shallot, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then add oil in a stream, whisking.
When beets are cool enough to handle, slip off and discard skins. Separately cut red and golden beets into 1/4-inch dice and put in separate bowls. Add 2 1/2 tablespoons dressing to each bowl and toss to coat.
Place cookie cutter in center of 1 of 8 salad plates. Put one eighth of red beets in cutter and pack down with your fingertips. Crumble 2 teaspoons goat cheese on top, then one eighth of golden beets, packing them down. Gently lift cutter up and away from stack. Make 7 more servings in same manner. Drizzle each plate with 1 teaspoon dressing and scatter with some pistachios.
Toss mâche with just enough remaining dressing to coat and gently mound on top of beets. Serve immediately.
• Beets can be roasted and diced 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before using.
• Molded beet salad (without mâche) can be assembled 45 minutes ahead and kept, covered, at cool room temperature.
Makes 8 servings.
Gourmet December 2002
Other messages in this thread:
- 11927. Has anyone ever roasted beets? - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 9:03pm on 09/10/08 (20)
- If you are roasting to save yourself the agony of peeling, that works well. I wrap them in foil and - Marg CDN - 9:45pm on 09/10/08
- Peel afterwards - skins just slip off! [NT] - Music City Missy - 10:37pm on 09/10/08
- Roasting Beets - peel while warm, I waited 1 hour & no go! - SueYoung - 10:47pm on 09/10/08
- some people swear by peeling first, so that you don't lose any of the nice roastiness by peeling it - AngAk - 11:56pm on 09/10/08
- Thanks much. I was reading a food chat today which mentioned roasting beets - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 12:23am on 09/11/08
- Alton Brown's method for roasting beets always works for me. It's part of his Pickled Beet recipe. [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 1:11am on 09/11/08
- A Beast of a Beet Recipe: Roasted-Beet & Goat-Cheese Terrine with Toasted Hazelnuts - Steve2 in LA - 1:40am on 09/11/08
- This sounds divine... and quite attractive when plated, I'm sure - thanks! - cheezz - 2:19am on 09/11/08
- Whoops, sorry. REC: Vodka Vinaigrette - Steve2 in LA - 4:26am on 09/11/08
- Wow, Vodka Vinaigrette, I'm thinking of flavored vodkas... [NT] - SueYoung - 2:38pm on 09/11/08
- oh yeah, I bet they "POP" all right :) Gracias! [NT] - cheezz - 10:25pm on 09/11/08
- The beet colors bleed into the cheese so when plated, the slices look like stained glass. Tasty too! [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 4:29am on 09/11/08
- I think I'm in (beet/ goat cheese) heaven... [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:49am on 09/11/08
- Similar to my fave salad. BEET AND GOAT CHEESE SALAD WITH PISTACHIOS - Marg CDN - 2:56pm on 09/11/08
- I'm swooning over this one! I bet the colors are beautiful... [NT] - Traca - 1:16pm on 09/12/08
- Rec: Oven-Roasted Beet Soup w/ Watercress-Joanne Weir - AnnVA - 3:28pm on 09/11/08
- I peel mine first before roasting to get the favor then - carol whidbey Is - 4:50pm on 09/11/08
- forgot to add I oil a bit before putting in the oven servered on spring greens [NT] - carol whidbey Is - 4:53pm on 09/11/08
- Roasted small beets, served with garlicky aioli and the sauteed greens. Simple and delicious. [NT] - Shaun in TO - 5:53pm on 09/12/08
- Thanks all! I'll definitely try some of these. Love the idea of goat cheese. [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 3:21pm on 09/13/08