Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Oven-Roasted Beet Soup w/ Watercress-Joanne Weir
Joined: Oct 9, 2007
Posted to Thread #11927 at 3:28 pm on Sep 11, 2008
This is delicous and I agree with Joanne Weir that roasting beets removes that earthy taste. I've changed the final paragraph from the original at her website (and in her cookbook where I first found it) because it didn't make sense. Anyhow, if you like beet soup this is a wonderful recipe.
Oven-Roasted Beet Soup with Watercress
“I love beets, but I don't think there is any vegetable that is more maligned. Beets don't deserve it! I think it comes from all those mothers in the 1950s who boiled beets and threw the flavor out with the water. After being boiled in water, the only flavor left in the beets is like the dirt they are grown in. Instead, my favorite way to cook them is to roast them in the oven, which accentuates their sweetness. Honestly, I promise you'll like them”--Joanne Weir.
2-1/2 pounds beets, greens removed and washed
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large red onion, minced
5 cups chicken stock
1 bunch watercress, stems removed, chopped
1/2 cup crème fraîche
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Place the beets in a shallow baking pan and drizzle with the oil and 1 tablespoon water. Roll the beets to coat with the oil. Season with salt and pepper, cover with aluminum foil, and bake until the beets are tender and can be easily pierced with a fork, 60 to 80 minutes, depending on the size of the beets. When the beets are tender, remove from the oven and let cool. This can be done a day in advance.
In the meantime, pour the oil from the baking pan into a soup pot. Warm the oil over medium heat, add the onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 7 minutes.
When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and chop them coarsely. Add them to the onions along with the chicken stock and 1 cup water. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
In batches, puree the soup in a blender on high speed, 3 minutes per batch, until very smooth. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean soup pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Reserve 1/4 cup of the watercress for a garnish. In the blender, puree half of the watercress with 1 tablespoon crème fraîche until very smooth. Add the remaining creme fraiche and pulse 2 to 3 times. Add lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serves 6 Wine Suggestion: Chardonnay
Other messages in this thread:
- 11927. Has anyone ever roasted beets? - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 9:03pm on 09/10/08 (20)
- If you are roasting to save yourself the agony of peeling, that works well. I wrap them in foil and - Marg CDN - 9:45pm on 09/10/08
- Peel afterwards - skins just slip off! [NT] - Music City Missy - 10:37pm on 09/10/08
- Roasting Beets - peel while warm, I waited 1 hour & no go! - SueYoung - 10:47pm on 09/10/08
- some people swear by peeling first, so that you don't lose any of the nice roastiness by peeling it - AngAk - 11:56pm on 09/10/08
- Thanks much. I was reading a food chat today which mentioned roasting beets - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 12:23am on 09/11/08
- Alton Brown's method for roasting beets always works for me. It's part of his Pickled Beet recipe. [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 1:11am on 09/11/08
- A Beast of a Beet Recipe: Roasted-Beet & Goat-Cheese Terrine with Toasted Hazelnuts - Steve2 in LA - 1:40am on 09/11/08
- This sounds divine... and quite attractive when plated, I'm sure - thanks! - cheezz - 2:19am on 09/11/08
- Whoops, sorry. REC: Vodka Vinaigrette - Steve2 in LA - 4:26am on 09/11/08
- Wow, Vodka Vinaigrette, I'm thinking of flavored vodkas... [NT] - SueYoung - 2:38pm on 09/11/08
- oh yeah, I bet they "POP" all right :) Gracias! [NT] - cheezz - 10:25pm on 09/11/08
- The beet colors bleed into the cheese so when plated, the slices look like stained glass. Tasty too! [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 4:29am on 09/11/08
- I think I'm in (beet/ goat cheese) heaven... [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:49am on 09/11/08
- Similar to my fave salad. BEET AND GOAT CHEESE SALAD WITH PISTACHIOS - Marg CDN - 2:56pm on 09/11/08
- I'm swooning over this one! I bet the colors are beautiful... [NT] - Traca - 1:16pm on 09/12/08
- Rec: Oven-Roasted Beet Soup w/ Watercress-Joanne Weir - AnnVA - 3:28pm on 09/11/08
- I peel mine first before roasting to get the favor then - carol whidbey Is - 4:50pm on 09/11/08
- forgot to add I oil a bit before putting in the oven servered on spring greens [NT] - carol whidbey Is - 4:53pm on 09/11/08
- Roasted small beets, served with garlicky aioli and the sauteed greens. Simple and delicious. [NT] - Shaun in TO - 5:53pm on 09/12/08
- Thanks all! I'll definitely try some of these. Love the idea of goat cheese. [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 3:21pm on 09/13/08