Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Judy's Zucchini Pickles from Zuni Cafe...
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #1302 at 4:03 pm on Mar 29, 2006
Judy’s Zucchini Pickles
Recipe By :Judy Rodgers/Zuni Cafe
1 pound zucchini -- washed, trimmed, and very thinly sliced
1 medium yellow onion -- very thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fine sea salt
2 cups apple-cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds -- yellow, slightly crushed
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1. Combine zucchini and onion in a large shallow bowl. Add salt; toss to combine. Add a few ice cubes and enough cold water to cover, stirring until salt dissolves. Let stand, at room temperature, until zucchini are slightly salty and softened, about 1 hour.
2. Drain, removing any remaining ice cubes. Dry thoroughly between two towels, or spin, a few handfuls at a time, in a salad spinner (excess water will thin the flavor and spoil the pickle). Rinse and dry the bowl. Return the zucchini and onion to the dry bowl.
3. In a saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, dry mustard, mustard seeds, and turmeric, over medium heat; simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand until just warm to the touch.
4. Pour the cooled brine over the zucchin-and-onion mixture, stirring to combine. Transfer to sterilized jars. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 days before serving. Will keep for about 3 months, refrigerated, in an airtight container.
Other messages in this thread:
- 1302. Zuchini On Sale!!! - Susan - 3:56pm on 03/29/06 (22)
- REC: Zucchini & Potatoes With Herb Sauce... - charlie - 4:01pm on 03/29/06
- REC: Judy's Zucchini Pickles from Zuni Cafe... - charlie - 4:03pm on 03/29/06
- A favorite here is to grill zucchini slices. Rec: Grilled Ratatouille Salad with Feta Cheese [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 4:47pm on 03/29/06
- Rec: Scarpaccia Viareggina (Savory Zucchini Tart)...from a class I took with Carol Field - Pat-NoCal - 4:52pm on 03/29/06
- Rec: Zucchini Gratin - Pat-NoCal - 5:00pm on 03/29/06
- REC: Zucchini (zucchini crust) Pizza - Marg CDN - 5:11pm on 03/29/06
- REC: Zucchini Onion Pancakes - Marg CDN - 5:16pm on 03/29/06
- This sounds wonderful and healthy. A good way to get veggies into the kids! [NT] - AngAk - 10:05pm on 03/29/06
- A few more ways I like to use them (can you tell I used to have an overproducing garden of zukes? :) - Pat-NoCal - 5:17pm on 03/29/06
- REC: Zucchini Fritte - Marg CDN - 5:18pm on 03/29/06
- REC: Zucchini Pie - RuthAB - 5:19pm on 03/29/06
- I love to slice them, then saute with some tomatoes, garlic and basil in butter & olive oil. [NT] - LisainLA - 6:17pm on 03/29/06
- YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!! THANKS FOR ALL THE RECIPES!! [NT] - Susan - 7:37pm on 03/29/06
- Stuffed Zucchini, Zucchini jam--taste/texture of apricot jam. Made w/jello. - AngAk - 10:02pm on 03/29/06
- T&T REC Baked Creamy Zucchini - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:10am on 03/30/06
- Chicken Breasts And Zucchini with Garlic Cream - GailNJ - 1:28pm on 03/30/06
- Zucchini Aux Fines Herbes - OrigCyn - 4:07pm on 03/30/06
- Hindman's Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake - OrigCyn - 4:08pm on 03/30/06
- Zucchini with Cream Sauce - OrigCyn - 4:09pm on 03/30/06
- REC Quick Zucchini Soup - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:02pm on 03/30/06