Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Zucchini Pie
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #1302 at 5:19 pm on Mar 29, 2006
from Food of the World: Greece by Susanna Tee
2 T olive oil
2 bunches scallions, sliced thinly
1/3 c arborio (or other short grain rice)
¾ c vegetable (or chicken) stock, hot
1 lb 10 oz zucchini, coarsely grated
4 T fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 T fresh mint, chopped
3 eggs beaten
3½ oz feta cheese
3½ oz butter
7 oz phyllo pastry
Put the grated zucchini in a colander to drain for 5-10 minutes.
Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the scallions and fry for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat in the oil.
Add the stock to the saucepan and simmer for about 15 minutes until the stock has been absorbed and the rice is tender but still firm to the bite. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the zucchini. Let cool.
When the mixture has cooled, add the parsley, mint and eggs. Crumble in the cheese, season with salt and pepper and mix well together.
Melt the butter and use a little to lightly grease a deep 12x8” metal baking pan.
Cut the pastry sheets in half widthwise. Take 1 sheet of pastry and cover the remaining sheets with a damp dish towel. Use to line the base and sides of the pan and brush the sheet with a little of the melted butter. Repeat with half of the pastry sheets, brushing each with butter.
Spread the zucchini mixture over the pastry, then top with the remaining pastry sheets, brushing each with butter and tucking down the edges. Using a sharp knife, score the top layers of the pastry into 6-8 squares.
Bake the pie in a preheated oven 375°F, for about 35 minutes, until golden brown. Serve hot.
My Notes: Sprinkle the zucchini with salt to draw out more liquid. Use less or no additional salt to compensate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 1302. Zuchini On Sale!!! - Susan - 3:56pm on 03/29/06 (22)
- REC: Zucchini & Potatoes With Herb Sauce... - charlie - 4:01pm on 03/29/06
- REC: Judy's Zucchini Pickles from Zuni Cafe... - charlie - 4:03pm on 03/29/06
- A favorite here is to grill zucchini slices. Rec: Grilled Ratatouille Salad with Feta Cheese [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 4:47pm on 03/29/06
- Rec: Scarpaccia Viareggina (Savory Zucchini Tart)...from a class I took with Carol Field - Pat-NoCal - 4:52pm on 03/29/06
- Rec: Zucchini Gratin - Pat-NoCal - 5:00pm on 03/29/06
- REC: Zucchini (zucchini crust) Pizza - Marg CDN - 5:11pm on 03/29/06
- REC: Zucchini Onion Pancakes - Marg CDN - 5:16pm on 03/29/06
- This sounds wonderful and healthy. A good way to get veggies into the kids! [NT] - AngAk - 10:05pm on 03/29/06
- A few more ways I like to use them (can you tell I used to have an overproducing garden of zukes? :) - Pat-NoCal - 5:17pm on 03/29/06
- REC: Zucchini Fritte - Marg CDN - 5:18pm on 03/29/06
- REC: Zucchini Pie - RuthAB - 5:19pm on 03/29/06
- I love to slice them, then saute with some tomatoes, garlic and basil in butter & olive oil. [NT] - LisainLA - 6:17pm on 03/29/06
- YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!! THANKS FOR ALL THE RECIPES!! [NT] - Susan - 7:37pm on 03/29/06
- Stuffed Zucchini, Zucchini jam--taste/texture of apricot jam. Made w/jello. - AngAk - 10:02pm on 03/29/06
- T&T REC Baked Creamy Zucchini - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:10am on 03/30/06
- Chicken Breasts And Zucchini with Garlic Cream - GailNJ - 1:28pm on 03/30/06
- Zucchini Aux Fines Herbes - OrigCyn - 4:07pm on 03/30/06
- Hindman's Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake - OrigCyn - 4:08pm on 03/30/06
- Zucchini with Cream Sauce - OrigCyn - 4:09pm on 03/30/06
- REC Quick Zucchini Soup - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:02pm on 03/30/06