Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Hummus from "The Moosewood Cookbook"
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
Posted to Thread #23 at 4:48 am on May 25, 2007
Humus is a chickpea paté of Middle Eastern origins. Use the slightly spicy, rich spread for sandwiches or wraps or as a dip with pita bread and fresh firm raw veggies, such as red, orange, or yellow peppers, or celery. Canned chickpeas are fine, but if you have the time, try using the chickpeas from our Bulk department. For variety, add roasted peppers to the purée.
11/2 cups dry chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1/4tsp. baking soda
3 cloves garlic
11/2 tsp. salt
Juice from 2 fresh lemons, to taste (I add much more)
1/4cup finely minced parsley
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup minced scallions
Soak the chickpeas with the baking soda in water to cover overnight. Drain and rinse several times. In a large pot, cover chickpeas with fresh water, bring to boil, cover and simmer 11/2 hours. Drain.
Combine all ingredients except scallions in a food processor bowl, and process until smooth. Chill thoroughly. When ready to serve, stir in scallions, reserving a few for garnish on top.
(To serve, I topped with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkled Zataar spice mix over the top)
—Moosewood Cookbook, by Mollie Katzen
You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M
Other messages in this thread:
- Sevillian Marinated Carrots [NT] [LINK] - Traca - 4:35am on 05/25/07
- Black Olive Paste aka Tapenade from "Olives" by Todd English - Traca - 4:43am on 05/25/07
- Hummus from "The Moosewood Cookbook" - Traca - 4:48am on 05/25/07
- Orzo Salad with Cucumber, Basil, Tomato & Feta - Traca - 5:00am on 05/25/07
- Chickpea & Green Bean Salad [LINK] - Traca - 5:07am on 05/25/07
- Meatballs with Bulgur in Onion and Tomato Sauce [LINK] - Traca - 5:12am on 05/25/07
- Moussaka [NT] [LINK] - Traca - 5:13am on 05/25/07
- Chocolate Stout Cake [LINK] - Traca - 5:15am on 05/25/07
- A Cote Caramel Pecan Brownies - Traca - 5:21am on 05/25/07
- Strawberries and Ganache for Dipping - Traca - 5:22am on 05/25/07