Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #91 at 12:35 am on Aug 16, 2012
[This is a combination of several recipes. I'm not sure if the brining is essential but since I had beginner's luck I will probably stick with it.]
1/4 cup kosher salt
4 cups water
1 lb fish fillets, cut into 2-3 inch pieces
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, sliced into half-moons
2 mashed garlic cloves, sliced
1 hot chile, cut in half (I used a jalapeno but you could use something stronger)
2 bay leaves
1 t. black peppercorns
1/2 t. cumin seeds
1 t. dried thyme leaves
1 t. coriander seed
1 T. dried oregano leaves
1 cup white wine
1 cup white wine vinegar
The grated zest and juice of 1 orange
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup green olives
Combine the 1/4 cup salt with 4 cups of water, stir to combine and brine the fish in this mixture for 30-45 minutes.
Place flour in a plate and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet on fairly high heat. Drain and dry fish, dredge in flour and sear on both sides in the hot oil. Don't overcook! Drain on paper towels, then arrange in a shallow serving dish.
Add the onion to the skillet and saute until soft. Add the garlic and chile and saute until fragrant
Now add all the remaining ingredients, turn the heat up to high and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce by half, turn off the heat and let cool.
When everything is at room temperature, pour the sauce over the fish. Cover and refrigerate. Serve cold.
Other messages in this thread:
- 91. Summer Birthday Dinner - Joe - 12:16am on 08/16/12 (7)
- Sundried Tomato Anchovies and Capers - Joe - 12:19am on 08/16/12
- Ricotta-stuffed Fried Squash Blossoms [LINK] - Joe - 12:25am on 08/16/12
- Escabeche - Joe - 12:35am on 08/16/12
- My Great-aunt's Eggplant Parmesan [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 12:38am on 08/16/12
- Jacques Pepin's Roasted Split Chicken with Mustard Crust [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 12:39am on 08/16/12
- Cucumber Salad - Joe - 12:41am on 08/16/12
- Crostata Di Ricotta [LINK] - Joe - 12:45am on 08/16/12